Enduring Power of Attorney

Since October 2007 it has not been possible to make an Enduring Power of Attorney to deal with property and financial affairs although those made before this date still remain valid.

However, once the person who made the Enduring Power of Attorney is beginning to lose mental capacity to deal with their affairs or has lost that capacity then it is necessary to register the Enduring Power of Attorney with the Office of the Public Guardian in order to be able to continue to look after the person’s affairs whilst they are incapacitated. There is a process to follow before the OPG will register the Enduring Power of Attorney so that it can continue to be used. We can assist with this process.

You may however wish to now make a Lasting Power of Attorney relating to your property and affairs and/or personal welfare. We can attend to this and the necessary revocation of the Enduring Power of Attorney.